Sunday, November 1, 2009

The history of Janesville Troop 405

Troop 405 is in the Glacier’s Edge Council (Indian Trails District) and is currently sponsored by the Youth Board of First Lutheran Church, Janesville, Wisconsin.
In April 1929, the current Troop 405 was chartered by the Men’s Club at First Lutheran Church in Janesville. J. Earl Jensen was selected as scoutmaster. He continued in this position for twenty years.

In 1940 the unit registered thirty-five scouts. From 1940 through 1950 William Oestreich served as scoutmaster. In 1941 a Sea Scout Ship was organized for the Senior Scouts. It was named Bower City and started out with seven Sea Scouts.

In 1950 Val Severson took over the position of scoutmaster and served for 10 years. Fred Wiltse became scoutmaster in 1960 and continued until 1968 when Dr. Phillip Selgren became the scoutmaster. “Doc” Selgren currently serves as a committee member.

It was the Men’s Club of First Lutheran Church that made possible the acquisition of Camp Indian Trails in 1946. Severson Lodge was named in honor of the troop’s second scoutmaster.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home